Saturday 19 September 2009

First 10 Days in Brighton


So far I have been in England for 10 days and I think this might be one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. I seriously don’t think that I have ever had. I have met so many cool and new people from all over the place. Sussex in September is such a great program and I am so glad that I got to participate in it. Starting from the beginning of the program I have done so much. On the first day I got here I flew from Boston to Iceland, which was just so weird I never thought that I would ever go to Iceland in my entire life. Everything went smooth all my flights were on time. Then from Iceland I flew to London Heathrow. As soon as I landed I knew this was going to be the journey of a lifetime. I got off the plane went through customs and got my luggage real quick, but then problems began. I go to the bus station and try to catch a coach down to Brighton. I had literally just missed one by like 5 minutes so I had to wait another hour for the next one. I had had nothing to eat because I thought I would be able to get better food when I got to Brighton. I ended up missing another bus because the stupid prompter in the lobby told me to wait there because my bus was delayed when in fact it just left without me. So finally I got on my bus, but because I had only slept a little on the plane I fell asleep as soon as I got on the bus. When I woke up 2 hours later I thought that I would have been almost there or should have been there already, but turns out we were still at Heathrow Airport because of some crazy car accident. So after 6 hours on the bus I finally got to Brighton. Not even caring about anything I just got in a cab and told them to take me to York House. I get to York House and am immediately greeted by a group of people all going to East Slope Bar so immediately put my luggage in my room and go to the bar. I had only a couple beers, but enjoyed mingling and hanging out with everyone. The next day I woke up and went on a campus tour, then that night was a reception with free food and free beer it was awesome. I ended up getting pretty buzzed. I met one of my good friends so far Mitchell. He is an awesome dude, from Mass and loves to party. We end up having a little party in his room then try and get everyone to go out that night. So that night we all went out on the town. Mitch, Annalisa, Thea and I ended up going to a club called Oceana. It was honestly one of the sickest places I have ever been too in my life I had so much fun. Then the next day I had to wake up and go to London. I woke up at 7 am, which was crazy because of all the alcohol that I had consumed the night before. London was amazing we went around on a walking tour and hit up all of the main spots such as Buckingham Palace, Parliament, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Big Ben, etc. After the walking tour we went on a cruise in the Thames River. I was so tired I actually fell asleep for a couple minutes. So we got back that night and I think we just hung out. The next night everyone took it easy as well because we all started classes the next day. The next day I went to my Politics of the European Union class, which was boring. That night I went on a tour of Brighton and it was so sick. We went out to dinner for Sushi and it was so good. There was like 10 of us and we did Saki Bombs that were so good. It was so funny too at the dinner we ended up doing speed dating and I learned a lot about everyone and it was hilarious the server told us to quite down so we just left. After that we ended up going to some pubs. It was so cool just hanging out at the pub with everyone. We were allowed to take our beer out and sit on the beach. There was a group of like 20 of us on the beach. Once that Fortune of War closed we went to another club called the Fish Bowl. We stayed there until 2 am it was awesome. We ended up playing this game called Thumper, which was so fun. We all had to do a sexual sign, which made it hilarious. So after that we called it a night and went home. Class again the next day and then that night we all went out to Karaoke. Mitch and I were the first people in our group to go up and we sang “Ice, Ice Baby” I didn’t know any words so we sounded like fools. I also got up and sang “Sweet Caroline” with all the New Englanders. That night I went home had a great night ;). The next day I took it easy again, but Thursday night was insane. I was blackout drunk before we went to the club. I don’t remember the bus ride there at all, but for some reason I remember the rest of the night. Honey Club was cool, but Thea and I decided to leave and as we were walking to the bus, we saw a club called Vavroom. We had no idea what it was so we went in. Turns out it was a gay bar. We spent about an hour in there. Once all the gay people found out I wasn’t gay they shunned me, but whatever it was still a funny story. The next day I was hanging out with people and we ended up going to a BBQ at East Slope it was really cool. I finally got to meet more British people. The next morning I woke up at 6 and we got ready to go to Stonehenge and Bath. Stonehenge was pretty cool, but the tour was kind of boring. Then we drove to Bath, which is one of the oldest places in Britain. The ancient Romans would come there on Pilgrimage’s and use the natural springs. It was seriously gorgeous. As soon as we got there Annalisa, Mitch, Amanda, Lewena, Thea, and I all tried to go find somewhere to eat. We ate at this little cafĂ© inside a mall. Then we walked around and took pictures. Eventually we sat down in this quaint little park for about 45 minutes. It was so nice and sunny. It was the perfect day. We saw this weird dude walking around twisting balls in his hand doing some kind of ritualistic dance. He had one dread lock and was wearing a camo suit. He must have been fried from all the drugs he has done in his life. So after that was when we went into the Bath Museum. It was probably one of the best things that I have seen so far. I walked around and had an audio tour and got to see all kinds of ancient Roman artifacts. In the end of the tour I sat outside on the gorgeous day by the baths and waited for the rest of the group to meet up. We eventually got back on the bus and I was really tired. It took forever to get home though because there was a car accident and this car was destroyed. They closed both sides of the motorway and had a helicopter come and airlift the person out. So we got home that night and Mitch and I went to the store to buy some beer. We drank warm beer on the bus because it was getting late and we were antsy. We got back and had a pretty crazy night, we played King’s Cup and then we went on the roof for a while. It was so funny security came and kicked us off the roof. After that a group of us went to the kitchen and hung out there for a while. In the end Joao, Thea and I all stayed up until 5 in the morning it was so funny. Sunday I tried to some homework but totally failed. Then in the evening Lewena, Annalisa, Stuart and I all went to meet Jess and Megan in Brighton because they wanted fish and chips. We went to this nice place right on the ocean a little off the pier. We all had a great time and during dinner Joao said the funniest thing because he just couldn’t believe that the police didn’t carry guns. He was impersonating a cop and said, “Stop right now…please!!!” Everyone at the table seriously died laughing. So last night, Monday, everyone went to the Globe Theatre to see a Shakespeare play and I had no desire because it was raining and the theatre is open air so about 10 of stayed and drank in Mitch’s room. We did a power hour and then went to this club called Coalition. We met these random dudes on the bus and they showed us where to go. The club was pretty sick, but then I got lost from the group of people and just wandered around town until I found a bus stop. On the bus I saw Amanda and Stuart. Then I went to bed after a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers